Sunday 8 September 2013

Dumbo Feather led me to Brain Pickings

Let me explain.

I was browsing the magazines in my local newsagent recently and saw a publication called Dumbo Feather. I hadn't ever read it before, or even realised it existed, but it had a photo of a cool looking woman on the front cover at her computer and the headline "Maria Popova is a Brain Picker" so despite the hefty AU$15 price tag I bought a copy and took it home.



Dumbo Feather is a magazine that's intelligent but readable, about things that matter and with no airbrushing. It's also printed on nice thick matt paper so it looks and feels nice as well (a bit like another great Australian magazine called Frankie).  Dumbo Feather does exactly what it says on its cover which is to have "conversations with extraordinary people."

It turns out that the $15 was a good investment because I then discovered that Maria Popova has a blog called Brain Pickings (which is updated almost every day and is completely free), and Dumbo Feather has a website which contains all of the magazine content and archives FOR FREE!!!

Checking the Brain Pickings blog has turned into a daily habit for me, and it's a source of great ideas for things to read, clever videos to watch, art to enjoy and people to admire.

For me it has been a much better way to while away time on the internet instead of online shopping or people.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment