Tuesday 3 September 2013

I am here to talk about what I have loved reading


Ever since I was a kid I’ve loved reading.  I would read anything I could get my hands on.  I remember getting board books for Christmas as a 3 year old, and choosing which books I wanted to order from a catalogue my mum used to get when we lived in Brunei in the 1980s, way before internet shopping.  When I’d read those I would pick up my Usborne Science Encyclopaedia or read my parents’ big hardback copy of “What to do in an Emergency” from the Readers Digest.  They never questioned why an 8 year old would want to read that. I still remember what to do if I ever get crushed in a crowd or fall into quicksand.

Although it has been a constant part of my life since childhood, I hadn’t given much thought to reading as an activity until recently but this week I had some realisations:

  1. reading is pretty much all I do in my “spare” time (anything else involves more complex logistical arrangements)
  2. even if there weren’t complex logistical arrangements involved in doing other things, I would still prefer to be reading
  3. I talk about books and what I’ve learnt from them a lot
  4. I might as well do something productive with all the time I’m spending reading … and not just subject my husband and work colleagues to my endless enthusiastic chatter about them

So here I am.  I am here to talk about what I have loved reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment